Cloud Computing Migration Plan
With well over 50% of all cloud migrations going over-budget and nearly three quarters taking longer than project plan time allocations, companies would do well to prepare their cloud migrations in advance. At Digital Innovation we implement a 75 point plan for all the various cloud pre-sales, pre-migration, implementation, migration, and optimisation project phases.
Here is a few steps from our full cloud migration plan, to give you an idea on the steps required to avoid extra costs and project delays
- Take inventory of all IT assets, servers, storage including software applications, upgrades and patches.
- Verify licensing agreements, to ensure legacy applications have no cloud usage licensing limitations.
- Create a backup of all the existing IT infrastructure servers and data.
- Verify all on-premise IT infrastructure server and data backups.
- Determine that the data formats are compatible with the cloud vendors required data format.
- Determine that the applications to be migrated are compatible with the cloud vendors operating systems and APIs.
- To ensure cloud compatibility and future-proofing, upgrade any on-premise incompatible operating systems and applications.
- Identify on-premise application dependencies, for both internal and external interfaces.
- Understand how your IT users interact with the applications with respect to device and networking access e.g. VPN, VOIP, desktops, tablets, mobiles etc.
- Take steps to ensure that the migrations does not interfere with the current business activities.
- Decide on the best method of migration, between a challenging live migration or by way of ceasing business activities to ensure a less risky smooth migration.
- Design and create a proof of concept cloud infrastructure environment using the most suitable cloud vendors.
- Perform PoC security testing.
- Migrate a cleansed version of your data.
- Perform functional and user acceptance testing.
- Perform live data migration and final user testing to ensure that the cloud infrastructure is fit for purpose.
- Monitor cloud usage and scale up/down as and when necessary.
- Optimise Cloud instances to reduce costs and/or improve performance.
- Retire unused on-premise IT hardware and applications.
Using the above brief migration plan, cloud migrations should be smoother and reduce your overall CapEx capital expenditure. Contact us at Digital Innovations Global on +44 (0) 7003 901 581. Our offices are located at 72 Great Suffolk Street, London Bridge, SE1 0BL